Thursday 9 October 2008

Fairbanks

PRE:
In Winter 2006 / 07 I meet an Alaskan family with 6 kids traveling through europe for educational reasons and visited the Goetheanum in Dornach, Switzerland. Reminded of the stories of my mom in ~ 1957, when her family from Alaska was traveling with 6 kids through Switzerland I did anything I could for them.
It was a bit before X-mas and despite being very busy I showed them around and had a wonderful time. They came back in new year and we even managed to do a Acrobalance show together at the Initiative meeting of the youthsection.
The 2 oldest girsl, May and Michelle came the next summer to join the South Dakota Workcamp "Building a strawbale house for the Lakota waldorf school".

So now I wante dto visit them together with Dave, because he knew the girls as well.
Up there the fall had come already, yello trees everywhere. It was so beautyfull. Hitchhiking was ok, we did have to wait though once for more then 2 hours to get a ride. It was Marys Birthdaypaty and we wanted to surprise her, just the mom knew we would come. We made just in time for the cake.
It was so good to see them all again.
The youngest one, now 4 years old, was so qute, that I totally fall in love with him and he with me. HAd lots of fun together with all the kids. they just had moved to a knew house.
Lisa and Dorin, the parents, are great people to talk about Anthroposophy about. And they are really very eager to bring Anthroposphy alive in Alaska, which is great.
They took us the next day to thir friends, who have a organic bio dynamic garden with vegetables that are so big you dont believe when you see them the first time. the Kohlrabi is as big as your head.
In the evening they took us to a hot spring. Hot vulcano water in the middle of Alaska Mauntains. In the winter it must be even more amazing with ice and snow around and the northern lights above you.
The next morning we visited a small tiny little Anthroposophical Library. In the middle of the wildernis. And they had the biography of D.N.Dunlop. Tee book I always wanted to read. And I could take it with me to Homer. Its one of the best books ever to undersatnd the beginnings of Anthroposophy and those times at the turning of the last century.
We hitch hiked back all the way to Anchorage, mainly driving with a Israeli with very interesting thoughts about the whole conflict in Palestine and lots of knowledge about the old days. So I could ask him al lthe questions I ever had about Judaism etc. and he could answer all of them :-)

No comments: