Sunday 12 October 2008

family politics

We finally told everyone of the Kilcher family about our plan: to stay in Homer over the Winter and start a organic garden farming project in spring. Using this coming year as a period of experiemnting and learning. My aunts and uncles have so much knowledge. We preferable want to use horses to plow fields and stuff and also make a little CSA with the garden products.
If everything goes good, the family agrees and we still want to stay in Alaska we would prepare a 5 year plan to really do farming with animals etc. FOr now just a farm garden.
Everyone likes the idea. But there is some protokol to follow. Everyone need to vote on it. We have to write a proposal, also one for us staying in the cabin at the Homestead. This is possible under special conditions, all the 8 sisters and brothers ahve to agree on.
And before I know I am in the middle of trying to please everyone, doing politics with my own family. Even joining a anual family meeting with voting proxies for my mom on other issues (money, taxes etc) I have to start to educate myself about all the Trusts and laws and rules that are connected to the Kilcher Homestead.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
am i really going to be able to have a silent year in Alaska?
It looks like there is a job (not paid of course) waiting for me to jump in. But do I really want to facilitate and organise and get more projects going there? Now? maybe in a year... my brain goes round and round..... there is so much potential.
I totally get sucked in to the dynamics. trying to not promise anything I wount be able to keep. It a great chance and challenge to learn to set clear boundaries for my self, always try to see the positive and dont start talking negative right away. To become humble. Work with my need for attention. Do the things I really want to do.
And hey, there are so many other beautyful places in thi sworld that need attention, connection and care and also have potential in them.
I hope I will never forget this and also be able to bring some of the world back to the Homestead and not get swallowed by it, because isolated it will never fullfill its purpose.
Courage!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Juli,

After reading a bit of your blog, I feel that you and I are walking the same path but that you're just a good distance in front of me. It's strange, that more than being kin, I feel like we are kindred spirits even though I haven't had an adult conversation with you yet. Just my observations of you and what you have been doing have always inspired and impressed me. But I am now chiding myself for not taking the time to CONNECT with you.

Can we talk soon? Reintroduce ourselves as strangers, family, cousins, soul-sisters, truthseekers? I look forward to talking to you soon and sharing and learning and transforming.

Love,
Catty