Monday 17 March 2008

Almaty in Kazakhztan

When I googelt flights to Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan I found a special offer from KLM to Almaty. It sayed it was just a few hours by bus from Bishkek to where I have to go.
And it was a lot cheaper then direct flight to Bishkek, where you can get a visa upon arrival at the international airport.
So I booked it. Sunday 2.50 pm I would leave London via Amsterdam to Almaty. Friday arrives and I find out that Almaty is in Kazakhstan and not in Kyrgyzstan. And they have different Visa policies.
So I ended up not knowing if I can go at all and maybe loose the ticket, because it was a non refundable one. A nice guy at the KLM counter at Heathrow Airport let me change it to Monday and with the amazing help of Bill, who I meet at the Storytelling course I managed to go to the Kazach embassy and miraculous got a visa within 2 hours.

So now I am sitting in a cafe in Almaty with Hifi. Waiting for the Kyrgyz Embassy to open and I hope I will get an express VIsa there too. Then I have to find the Bus station and a bus to Bishkek where I will stay with a friendly hospitalityclub host.

Central Asia - I am coming.
(I wish my little sister and her ability of speaking russian would be with me, I have seldom traveled that unprepared. Andventures ahead of me I guess...)
Thank you Universe for sending me all this support and helpers so far.

More soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Juli!
Thinking to you all the time, and I hope that it all works out!

Love, J