Saturday 22 March 2008

Mazars

There are many sacred sites in Kyrgyzstan.
They are called Mazars and always have a guardian who takes care of the place.
We left Bishkek around noon and drove in small buses for 5 hours to the one that would host the Uluu ot - the sacred fire ceremony in the night.
The snow mauntains in the back, the blue blue lake on the side and earth hills and canyons with us inbetween. There was a memorial close by and a little moschee, the half moon on the top reflecting the sun and later on the full full moon.
We were invited to sit around a carpet and were served bread and tea. All woman had to cover their hair and some of us had brought also skirts to wear to honor the religion and place.
We wlked into those hills and canyons. People explaining in russian the history about the place.
I walked around a ruin and just sat by myself.
Looking towards the mauntains and the sun setting, feeling the earth beneath me, breathing. Observing to silhuets on a hill nearby doing some movements that could have been a kind of Tai-Chi. They were running on top of the next hill. It looked like that they had a lot of fun. Ifelt a bubbeling joy inside of me. Jumped to my feet and of I went, leaving the other people behind me that followed some path in a canyon and run after the 2 man.
One of them spoke a bit english. We run and jumped from hill to hill. Until we came to a place with some snow left and a big biiiiiiiig old tree. I think it was a willow, at least 100 years old and a little spring between her roots.
They told me that this was a very sacred place. We washed ourself with the water and drunk some. It tasted a bit salty and very rich of minerals. We kneelt down and they chanted a prayer, I contributed with the Guardian angle song my parents sang to my sisters, brother and me when I was a child. We tried to listen to the water in the tree. And were silent for a while. Then we made our way back, meeting more trees and dwells under them, but none of them was that big.
Also people here in Kyrgyzstan - at leastsome of them have lost their connection to theearth, some cocacola bottles and garbage laying around at the sacred sites. The 3 of us all started to pick up everything we saw on our way back. It was like looking for easter eggs, everyone trying to see the next piece of garbage before the other.
I am so grateful for those to man from Taras. They felt real and awake, no hokuspokus around them and they have showed me some of their country in a very special way.

No comments: