Saturday 22 March 2008

The fire ceremony

We all walked tothe prepared wood pile. It was already a bit late and it seemed no one really knew what would happen.
Camera lights were flashing and disurbing me terrible. Someone aske dfor silence.
We, the 3 woman, Apela a native american, a Kyrgyz woman and me started to prepare the 3 little nests for the sparks to jump in.
Pete from Washington DC sang the native american dong for the fire spirit to awake and then we started to get some sparks out of our 3 different flintstones.
My was the first to catch flames. I put it under the wood and it started to catch the fire. I helped the other two to give some sparks from my stone. In the meantime my little fire died in the big pile, but Apelas started to catch and the flames grow.
A sigh of reliev, but then - the fire didnt find enough air or branches, only the spirits maybe know what happend, and the fire died. As fast as possibe, almoust a bit hectic the 3 of us were preparing a new nest for some sparks that cought fire quit fast and I pushed it as deep as I could under the branches inside the pile. The branches cougt fire and all of the sudden some kyrgyz boys and man jumped to us and put some more branches on it. And then the flames became stable and Uluu ot was lit aain for the first time propably since 40.000 years or more.
It only burned when everyone came together. It was so beautiful and I still cant find the right words to describe everything.
Many peopel shared their prayers and wishes. The Koran was read and Manas chanted.
I played a little song on my flute and then walked on top of a little mauntain to look at the moon, the voices of prayer in the backround.
My headache became stronger and stronger, finally it also effected my stomacheand I puked behind the Moschee into a little hole and covered it with earth afterwards. Now I felt a lttle better.
We watched the fire until it was burned down, also because of my headache everything was a little bit unreal. But it definetly happened!
:-)

No comments: