Saturday 22 March 2008

My flint stone

Around 20 years ago my older sister Saskia gave me a flintstone she got on one of her travels in the USA.
I always kept it with me. Since a couple of years I took it with me on all of my trips. So it traveled with me to Argentina, Brazil, Japan, USA, KEnia, TAnzania, Palestine, Israel...
Sometimes I was laughing about myself. "why would I carry this with you, do I really honestly think I will someday end up in the wilderness without any matches and then will need it to lit a fire?"
But I always took it with me, in the top of my back pack. Before we left Bishkek, Apela and the Kyrgyz people were training to lit the fire with their flint stone, but experienced trouble. Without thinking to much I said I also have one, if you guys want to try it with this one. I took it, Apela was stil trying to do it with the other really old one, blowing into the glimm in a bed of moos and other good burning material. I was doing it more out of curiousity, one strike into the material and buuuuuuuuum it ws in flames. Everyone including me were super surprised.
So right away I was appointed from the leader of the Aigine research centre to join to lit the fire. Which I did together with Apela and another Kyrgyz woman yesterday night at midnight looking at the full moon shining at the majestic mauntains.
Before I came here I knew I would learn a lot from this amazing country and people, but I didnt know what I could contribute to this transforming fire and why exactly I had to come to join it live. So now this question is answered, as well as why I was always carrying the flintstone with me, my sister gave to me 20 years ago.

No comments: